By July 9, 2014 0 Comments Read More →

Steubenville Rape Case Charges DROPPED For Two Defendants

Trent Mays, Ma'lik Richmond

Charges were dropped this past week, in the case against two school employees involved in the Steubenville, Ohio rape case. The two were charged during an investigation into whether other laws were broken in the commission of the rape of a 16-year-old girl by two now former high school football players in the small Ohio town.

Among those charged was strength and wrestling coach as well as elementary school teacher Seth Fluharty who were accused of failing to report the August 2012 rape.

The Elementary school principal Lynnett Gorman had additionally been accused of failing to report rumors of a teen drinking and sex party back in April 2012. This party, however, was unrelated to the West Virginia girl’s rape.

Now, the Ohio attorney general’s office has confirmed that misdemeanor charges of failure to report child abuse and neglect have been dropped, as of June 20. This came after Fluharty and Gorman were said by prosecutors to have met conditions of deals to avoid prosecution.

Gorman performed 40 hours of community service at a rape crisis or victim assistance center. She also had to talk to teachers and administrators in Steubenville about the importance of reporting crimes like the one she helped to cover up.

She was also instrumental in encouraging the school system to host a speaker from the Ohio Alliance Against Sexual Violence during Sexual Assault Awareness Month in April, but this was merely a condition of the charges being dropped, rather than a gesture of good faith.

Fluharty, as well, was made to complete 20 hours of community service at a domestic-violence shelter as well as attending an anti-sexual violence seminar at Steubenville city schools.

Gorman and Fluharty are only two of six people charged following a grand jury investigation which kicked off on March 17, 2013.

That was when two of the players engaged directly in the notorious rape were convicted. Attorney General Mike DeWine said a continued investigating has been necessary to ensure the community and the nation know that justice had been done, following allegations of cover-up.

The trial of district superintendent Mike McVey is still ahead, set for August 18 in Jefferson County Common Pleas Court.

The district’s former technology director, William Rhinaman, faces a court date that has still not been set. Stay tuned…

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.